Send your own ElfYourself eCards

Friday, November 16, 2007

Can You Please Tell Your Cows to Be Quiet?

It was Sunday after church a day after the calves had been weaned from their mothers when I answered the door to find the little neighbor girl (age 8) standing there. "Can I talk to the person who owns these cows?" she asked. I told her that person lived next door, but we could help if there was a problem. "Are they out?" I asked.

"No, I just wanted to talk to the owner about his cows because they are so noisy. I'm not trying to be rude, but I could hear them through my windows all night long and they are really loud." she said.

I explained to her that they had just been taken from their mommas and were crying for them and their moms were answering the call back. "I know it is really loud, but it will only be like this another night."

"So there isn't anything you can do? They are really loud. I come up with my Mom (Rachelle Koon) on the weekends to visit my grandparents and we stay until after church and then we go home." she said.

I told her the bad news first. "I'm sorry there is nothing we can do to make them be quiet, but the good news is they won't be loud next weekend when you come to visit." That seemed to satisfy her and she went home.


Now, I propose the question. How would one go about making approximately 300 cows be quiet? Brock's answer is to hold your index finger to your lips and say "Shhhhhhh" or yell at them "QUIET TOWS!". Although equally good ideas neither is very effective!

3 comments:

lrix said...

This is one of my favorite stories. You handled it very well. I don't know what I would have told her. Brock's idea cracks me up. I love that kid!

McGarryMom said...

You might have told Juliette that making cows be quiet is as hard as asking kids to be reverent in Primary. She might have understood that one. You did handle that well. I wonder if her Grandma and Grandpa knows she came over.

Kliss said...

How cute! I hope your cows have listened to Brock and will be quiet while we are there.